Monday, February 25, 2013

Class, Culture, Clubbing


Went with a couple of my class peers to a play Gabriele d'Annunzio, about a famous poet and solider of Italy. We were invited by a older student in our class, whom was invited by one of his work colleagues. He was from Florida, out of all places and I am inspired by this older man who still has the courage to learn a new language, teach in another country and experience new things.  We went to the Teatro Nazionale. We sat second row and paid only 10 euros with our discount.   It was a great play from what I could understand. I had a bit of a summary through the theater playbill.  It is much easier to read Italian then to understand considering that in any language. The main character portrayed D'Annunzio very well as he was bald and had the signature mustache of the late poet . The passion and hand gestures gave us students some insight of what they might be discussing when words blurred together.  But it was easy to figure out the main plot, as this was an Italian play, women and love! Of course the main character dealt with sex, mistresses and love, or this wouldn't be a play about an Italian man. The lighting and back ground really caught my attention. 



There was a 19th century DJ creating all the sounds and music with a backdrop of an oversized picture frame outlining him, a chandelier overhead and books to prop his keyboard and turning tables. He played multi instruments that I could not even recognize. I  pictured this DJ at a nightclub in Miami somewhere as it really grabbed one's attention.







After the play we headed next door for some delicious pizza. But let me shine some light on some of the night scene in Roma that I experience after the classy part of the night I had. Of course I haven't seen all the nightlife but from what I have experienced past three weekends, me likey! First off, one does not go out to the club here at 11:00pm or 12:00pm or 1:00am for that matter. 2:00/3:00am is more like it. The "guest list" is on average opened until 2:45am. I mean, crap I'm in bed by that time often in Florida nowadays. At first you think to yourself, this is late I don't like it, but you quickly adjust to the Roma lifestyle and PARTY ON! You preparty until 1:00/1:30am and head out. By the time you hit the club no need to buy drinks you're half way to your morning hangover. But I do believe this is why all clubs often charge both male and FEMALE (how dare they) a cover charge because many people do not buy many drinks inside. The cover ranges from 5-15€ but drinks are a little overpriced being from 5-10€ a drink. Saturday night for the first time I took the night bus or I should call it BB (boozin bus). I felt I was on the Later Gator (free bus service in Gainesville, FL) back in college. Everyone was drunk, tired and sweaty but everyone had one hell of a night.  I arrive home on average 5:30am and sleep until 12:30/1pm. Do I feel guilty sleeping in so late because I would normally be on the beach that time? No because I know I'm going to do it all over again tonight.  Festa tempo!

No comments:

Post a Comment