Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sciopero! Sciopero!


Sciopero! Sciopero! A word one gets to know quickly when one lives in Roma. Strike! Strike! Is all to familiar here. I've been in Italy for just a little over 2 weeks and have already experienced by first Strike. So, today as I attempted to take the metro to my italian classes, the entrance was closed. I already had an idea as many have warned me about this strikes but I thought the strikes were only for busses.  I live near Termini, the main metro and train station. Think of it as Grand Central or Port Authority in NYC shutting down for a few hours. No big deal! Right? I mean there were numerous tourists standing around confused and without luck trying to find someone who speaks english. They had suitcases and worried faces that they wouldn't make their flight or train. I helped a young man stating that it's a strike and common in Italy. I wish I could have helped in some way more but I was running late for my own class and had to figure out what my next step would be. 


Luckily the small amount of Italian I know I somehow managed to read the Advisor and speak with a Italian of what was the matter. A strike was occurring and it was to end at 2:00pm. I was running late for class and decided to walk to the next station that was roughly 10 minutes away. My thoughts came over me. No warning, no international signs to help the tourists, what was this strike about. Did it accomplish anything? A matter of fact it did. It made tourists confused, workers late, gave the metro employees a day off and gave me a wonderful brisk walk to another station. I laughed my way to the next station Cavour, thinking how there ever was a Roman empire when there are strikes as often as pizzerias. Although if this happened in US, especially NYC, all hell would break loose and I'd be the one to open the flood gates, but we're in Italy. See everything with the glass half full is my mode. I mean I wasn't worried I was late because everyone is going to be late. So if I was a worker I'm getting paid and get a break to arrive late because some Union decides they want Tuesday afternoon off, so be it. My professor stated to me that the strikes often happen on Friday. Even better! Strolling to work in 1-2 hours late is my kind of Friday. I wonder how effective these strikes are. I think we should implement them more in the US. Gather your co-workers pick a date that works best for everyone to have off, strike and enjoy your day off. I like you Romans, who know how to live.

Enough dreaming. Roma has two metro lines A and B. They are usually efficient and easy way to get around the city. Today, the metro was pleasantly empty for once. There were seats empty as you can see. Normally, when you take the metro in Roma, its packed more than the latinos pack their luggages with saran wrap when they travel to South America.   Hooray for strikes!

Side Note: Passes, Gypsies, Crazies.

Keep your metro pass at all times with you. Because the "metro police" will do random checks at the entrances and exits to see if you have paid. I have already been checked to see if I was a paying costumer.  And THIS is what they are worried about but to hell with getting you on time to where you need to be. There are monthly passes that you can purchase. But wait, another obstacle. They are not for 30 days from where you purchased it, because that would be too easy. Its for each month of the year. So buy early and save later!  You can only purchase them at small stores (where magazines or tobacco are sold). They do not sell at the normal machines, why you ask? Because they quickly run out of them. There are only a limited amount and you must buy them preferable at the end of the month or right in the beginning and hope you be so lucky to obtain one.

Gypsies, well they're everywhere. Not just in Roma but around the world but it's something to be addressed. Don't look at them and don't look at their children. Keep your bags close and don't ever let your guard down. I dodge a gypsy at least once a day crossing streets to not get spit on if I don't give them MY own hard working money.

Crazies. I think America shipped some crazies over to Europe to let them deal with the ever growing population. Past week, I have walked by several American homeless crazies. Am I being insensitive? How do I know they're American? Easy if you dare to even lock eyes with one, it will send off their aliens in their head and they shall condemn you to hell, tell you to fuck off followed by every curse word in the english language, ask you what are you doing in your life etc. etc.  Are they crazy? Absolutely! They talk to themselves into the window reflections screaming, spilling whatever drink they may have on the sidewalk or perhaps if you're lucky on you or your shoes.  So as you can see, its an obstacle course to often walk the streets in Roma, but like I said, look at it as a half full glass, entertainment and make sure you know what you're doing with your life because some stranger just might shift the alien in your head as he condemns you to hell. God speed through the streets of Roma!


No comments:

Post a Comment