Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Heat is On

What I have been waiting for has finally arrived in Roma, the heart is on! I thought it would never get beach weather appropriate here  but  where the locals were right. When the heat comes, it burns.  Just think of Florida humid weather with Las Vegas heat and put them together.  This makes it very unpleasant to walk throughout the city. I don't know how the tourists manage to make it here every summer, like having a heat stroke is the best time of year to go see some sights.  But not to far from the city center, through a metro and a 30 minute train ride you can arrive at Ostia Lido beach  and be a beach bum like myself.



 When first arriving to the beach, I was a bit confused and frustrated. There was no way of entering the beach. There are several beach clubs and storage facilities that require a fee. I walked up and down and thought I'm here but I can't get to the freakin beach. I found a restaurant and beach access which required a fee but at this point I didn't mind. I just wanted to get my toes in the sand. 4 Euros will get you on the sand and a clean restroom facility. I chose the beach next to the free pier where on calm ocean days they also have two soccer nets out in the water for the football fanatics.  The paid beaches are kept clean and peace and quiet is here. The lifeguards swoosh away the bangladesh self entrepreneurs selling coconuts or bracelets and watch after any stragglers trying to sneak in to the private beach. I felt safe leaving behind a towel and cooler but I would not recommend leaving much more than that alone.



 There are nice storage facilities where old people store their chairs, floaties for grandchildren and sit outside playing cards enjoying the good life. I left like I was back in the 70s. There is even a small football/soccer field to play in each private beach. Its quite nice compared to the public beach I found taking a long stroll along the ocean. Here, the restrooms are potter potties, yuck and the beach is packed. Sure it makes for good eye candy but unlike my beach at home, I like to be away from as many people as possible since getting peace and quiet in the city is impossible. 


One thing I don't understand about the Italian beach culture is the need to still wear banana hammocks aka speedos especially the young chaps. Ok the old man you can't change their ways but the young tall fit men, I mean come on give a girl a little mystery of what may come. They are even daring to wear  a white speedo. No matter what, a speedo will never be sexier than a far too lowered board shorts showing those abs and hip flexors. Yum!  I can't wait to see that when I get back home.  But still the italians insist on their macho ways thinking let me bend over or lift my leg where a hairy ball just might peak or slip out. Now imagine a 60-70 year old man....now that's sexy Italia!


No comments:

Post a Comment