Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Forza Roma!

On a particular Sunday, I was offered to go to a football game aka soccer for the Americanos. Game is AC Roma vs. Napoli.  You can purchase tickets at particular tobacco shops. One must bring a passport because apparently if you're an Italian you couldn't purchase the particular tickets me and my friends were getting. Odd yes but that will be explained later.

So the stadium is quite a journey to get to. Metro and tram later you arrive. You can just follow the ugly FSU like colors, red and goldish. Apparently, Italia, in the one thing they want to follow the rules by is of course the football games. They take this shit seriously.  When you purchase a ticket, they print your name on it, which they check at the gate not once but twice. So sneaking in booze isn't that difficult but it takes a technique of stern face and a quick step pass the guards. Got through the first gate, awesome. But wait, there is ANOTHER gate where they check your ticket again right before entering the stadium and there of course a woman stops to check my bag, as I rushed to hide the bottles in my bag as they wanted to check my passport and ticket AGAIN but luckily my two friends slid right by as I was the decoy getting caught.











So entering the stadium, it isn't as full as expected but the Italians HERE like to have some organization. The visiting team is out in the nosebleeders separated from any nearby Romans. I noticed that me and my friends were placed in almost the gringos section as my surroundings were filled with Americans and other Eurotrash (jk) and a small group of calm italians.   The center field sections seem to have families and nonnos as no one stood the whole time or any flags waving.
                                                             
    


The two goal sections were filled with Italian men who had too much to drink and entirely oversized flags who would piss off the typical American Football fan from obstructing his view. The scoreboard only shows that, the scoreboard so don't take your eye off the ball or you might miss the one and only goal. 





Lucky for me, Roma won and I got to hear Grazie Roma song the stadium sings.  I also got to see a storm of police army surrounding the premises and especially surrounding the Napoli fans.  It was like a riot was going to start but unlucky me no riot started. I always like a good fight between drunken men and police with mase. 


No comments:

Post a Comment