Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ostia Antica: A Civilized Past

Thirty minute metro/train ride away from Piramide, Roma takes you back to the 7th century BC in a large town of Ostia Antica. This archeological site is a playground/maze. It was a beautiful day to visit Ostia, a Saturday ago and I invited some friends along. You meet so many people from different cultures here and really get a practice at other languages.  At the end of the day after visiting Ostia, I was speaking something in between Spanitaliaenglish and didn't know what language I was speaking in the end. I met several friends from Chile, Belgium, France some Americans and we all try to practice our Italian.
You can only imagine a night out with us.

Ostia was truly a unique place to see. It starts off as a long road that grows bigger to what once was a Port city. It stated that over 1000 people once lived in this city and I could definitely see it. Surely you're thinking only 1000 but this is B.efore C.hrist time we're talking.  There were large squares still intact and several commercial areas. It definitely had a feel for a Walking Dead Episode as the area is so large that you don't pass by many visitors. 




There is a large amphitheater where I'm sure once fat ladies sang Opera. I tried to imagine what life would be back in those times. No internet, no tv, no telephone, no books, no connection from the outside world.  The people of Ostia would have laughed at the idea of some web universe where we all are connected by a touch of a button. Hell they thought the world was still flat back then. 


Currently, I don't have a working cell phone so I too was disconnected with the outside world and quite enjoyed it. I have been delaying getting an Italian number because I enjoy leaving my apartment and hopefully meeting at the proper place and time with friends.  Having drinks and dinner without the use of facebook or the web. Bit of excitement the unknown, if your friends left you because you arrived to late or you don't know where the restaurant is because no two streets are alike, so you find yourself wondering the streets of Roma, asking for directions to other people who also don't know the street you are mentioning and they're ITALIAN!



I knew this would be a town I'd like to live in because there was a bar in this hip trendy town of Ostia in the 7th Century. There are shelves in place and there even looks to be like a cooler bucket. This place gives you peace from the daily hustle and bustle of Roma. Hours spent mazing through the ruins really beat me up but well worth a sunny Saturday afternoon walking through a town built before Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment